Congrats! You’ve taken the first step in enriching your life!
Trust me when I say anime will change your life.
Firstly, anime is not just cartoons for adults.
While it mostly features teenagers/school kids as main characters,
most shows are not childish/cartoony at all. Lots of them are
thought-provoking, some explore niche themes and overall most are very
relatable to your life.
Anime has all sorts of genres but you’ll see similarities as a whole such as
– Cute Chibi faces, this is usually when there’s a comical reaction.
Eg. see 3 types of drawings of Zenitsu from Demonslayer
– Fanservice, this is when sometimes they show a half nude character
/some squealing/some sexual jokes, it’s very cringey but you’ll get used to it,
usually a hot spring bath scene and a few girls are in there comparing boob
sizes. Some serious shows don’t have any fanservice, of course there’s
also ecchi animes that’s entirely fanservice 😉
Speaking of fan service/hot springs, anime is quite funny in
that every story seems to have certain arcs or scenes like:
- Training Arc (where its either a short montage or a few episodes
where a character goes on a bootcamp/overseas for special training
and comes back super empowered)
- Tournament Arc (usually followed after Training Arc)
- Redemption Arc where you see the backstory of certain characters
and they’ve overcome the odds
- Beach Episode (this is often a filler episode where the main characters
go to the beach and have fun)
– The language in anime is quite simple, and you’ll learn words like
- minna san = everyone
- daijoubu = are you okay?
- onegai = please
- kawaii = cute
- oiishi – yummy
- tadaima – I’m home!
- oyasumi – goodnight
- ara ara – oh my
and so on, and when you talk to friends like me who watch anime
extensively you’ll actually use Japanese words in some sentences!!
Remember always pick SUBs over DUBs.
Anime is made in Japanese, and the voice actors are often tremendously
skilled in their accents, screaming in pain, voice-cracking or crying,
evil laughter, etc. Although dubbed versions exist, its way more enjoyable to
listen in Japanese.
People tell me they don’t like subtitles because they are forced to pay
attention and can’t multi-task I don’t see that as a problem, that’s great,
you’re fully committed to the show!
Okok you’ve hyped me, where do I get anime?
Crunchyroll has the most, but I always try Netflix first!
Sometimes the show uses their English name, so try to search in both languages.
eg. Attack on Titan or Shingeki no Kyojin / Laid-back camp or Yuru Camp.
Some shows only use their English Name eg. Fullmetal Alchemist or only
Japanese name like Haikyuu!!
Aight, you’ve made it to the best part, here’s Ayesha’s curated list,
based on my top picks + what I think the majority of people like, or you can
use this list: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
But if you specifically like a Magical High School Girl genre (that’s a thing!)
or you like Vampires or Loli/goth style turn to good ol’ Reddit where
r/anime has lots of recommendation threads.
OK I’M SO READY, TELL ME WHAT TO WATCH ALREADY!!
Strap yourself in, you’re in for a hell of a ride
AYESHA’S FAVs / MUST-WATCH
(last updated 19 Oct 2019)
Fantasy & Adventure / Action
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood – Completed.
This is the GOAT of anime, it’s also one of the first animes I watched and it
got me into anime, it’s super fun to watch, incredible story. There’s a longer
version, the original with 100s of eps, don’t watch that one, I hear it’s very dark
and depressing. This one has lots of feels so be prepared!
- Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) – Season 1 – 3, Season 4 2020
This is one of my absolute favourites ever, I read the manga online and
keep up to date. I cannot recommend reading it enough, and read it from
the start after you’ve watched the show, the author is very masterful in
character development and foreshadowing.
The story is quite dark at the start and I know people have been put off by
this before but it’s an intriguing story, stick it out! I guarantee it’s a
- Hunter x Hunter (2011 version) – Completed, but I hear more arcs are
being written and possibly animated?
Another really fun show, it’s about 140 episodes, but has very clear story
arcs about 20 episodes each so you could watch and stop and pick it up
again if the number of episodes scares you. BUT WHY WOULD YOU STOP?
While it has a young kid as the main character it is definitely not a kiddy
show at all. There are so many loveable and cool characters and an
- Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demonslayer) – Season 1 out, Season 2 TBC
This one just became popular in Summer 2019, episode 19, in particular,
shot its ratings through the roof – you’ll see why! This has really pretty
drawings and the best 2D/3D CGI blends I’ve seen! The characters are all so
loveable and I was in so much agony each week I caved and read the whole
manga too. This is a boy’s quest to find a cure for his sister who
mysteriously turned into a demon.
- Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) – Season 1 – 3 out, 1 movie,
Season 4 current airing
One of the top-grossing anime in Japan that managed to receive 3 seasons within a year.
(For context, Attack on Titan is insanely popular but because
manga sales/merchandise etc were not high enough it took 4 years for the
studio to renew a 2nd season of anime, then half a year to renew for 3rd
season as the hype increased yay!)
This is like Marvel’s Avengers of anime, a fun story about kids in a
superhero academy learning to be heros!
- The Promised Neverland – Season 1 out, Season 2 in 2020.
This just came out in March 2019 and has rocketed to the top of my list.
The story hooked me instantly and I binge read all of the manga just after
watching episode 3. Just do yourself a favour and watch it, it’s scarily good,
the manga is well-drawn and written – lots of internal monologues
were not animated so I’d recommend reading too!
It’s about a bunch of kids in an orphanage discovering that they aren’t actually orphans
but are being bred by demons in a facility. Ooooooo!
- Re-Zero: Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (Starting life in a new world)
– Season 1 out, Season 2 in 2019?
This is of the ‘other world’ (isekai) genre where the main character is
teleported to a different universe. It’s a very popular genre in the 2010s,
there’s lots of trash isekai shows but this one is very very good.
I remember feeling exhilarated, terrified, upset and frustrated each week,
some scenes were so shocking but I couldn’t stop. It did start off slow but I
promise it’s worth your time. It’s also got heaps of merchandise online due
to the cute characters. You’ll know what I mean once you watch it.
- Psycho Pass – Season 1 – 2 out. Season 3 in December 2019
Season 1 is awesome, but the hype didn’t continue in Season 2, so up to you
if you want to keep going. I’ll watch Season 3 when it comes, hopefully it
picks up again!
It’s a crime story set in the dystopian future with an AI government that
monitors everyone’s brains. Tee AI can tell you your happiest path in life
and dictates what you do in life. What a scary thought!
- Death Note – Complete
A classic. Watch the first half, you’ll know when you’ve reached the 2nd
half, it’s not as good, but first half is 10/10. Another GOAT series.
- Stein’s Gate – Complete, there is a new Stein’s Gate Re that I haven’t
I found this had a really slow start and I was bored, but then the 2nd half of
the series just took off! It’s about time-travel and the butterfly effect. One of
the top-rated of all-time which is why I committed, and thank god I did.
- Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex – Complete
If you liked Psycho Pass, you’d love this too! (Also a story involving police)
A slightly different take on what the future holds when we live amongst AI
and most people are part-cyborgs.
The recent Hollywood movie with Scarlett Johansson didn’t do it justice at all!
Sports (don’t be fooled by this genre name, it’s terrific!)
- Haikyuu!! – Season 1 – 3 complete, unsure if continuing
I bet you’ll watch them all seasons in a week once you start! This is THE
volleyball anime that you absolutely should watch, it will make you love
sports and this is just SO WHOLESOME AND MOTIVATING!! It doesn’t
matter if you don’t know anything about volleyball or don’t do sports at all,
this one will get your adrenaline pumping!
- Chihayafuru – Season 1 – 2 complete, Season 3 in December 2019.
This is a sports/slice of life one that I binged in 4 days. It’s not really a sport
but more a competitive card game. It’s got Japanese culture woven into it as
the game is based on your knowledge of classic Japanese poems. I know it
sounds totally weird but really fun to watch!
Karuta is a real sport and you can watch the real Queen play on YouTube!
Slice of life (This genre just makes you smile and relax, I love it! Usually set
in a high school or growing up/coming of age story. Sometimes about adult life too)
- Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid – Season 1 complete, unsure if renewed
Gosh, this show is just way too cute, and warms your heart!
I can’t say more, just watch it!
This one is actually quite suitable for kids. I was internally crying
at every episode thinking about running out of episodes.
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your lie in April) – Complete
Beautiful story about a pianist and violinist, it’s got lots of feels and
inspiring. I love the art in this one too! This one can be considered as
drama/romance genre genre too. Love it!
- Yuru Camp (Laid-back Camp) – Season 1 out, Season 2 in 2020.
Title says it, it’s about camping! I cannot describe how feel-good and cute
this show is. It’s very very popular on the internet. Made a clean freak who
thinks 23 degrees is cold want to go winter camping (me). What?!
Lots of fans have tried to recreate this anime in real life with their own
camping photos from the real-life locations across Japan, uber cute!
- Violet Evergarden – This one’s recommended purely because of how
beautiful this anime is. It was a high budget production made by
Netflix and they definitely gave it lots of love. It’s quite a slow paced
story, filled with feels and just utterly breathtaking visuals. Good OST
Popular Internet Picks
- Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) – this is a movie not a series, it’s
incredibly good, top-grossing anime movie ever, yup it overtook
Spirited Away. It’s a bit of fantasy/adventure/romance.
- One Punch Man – lots of people love this, it’s not a top pick for me but
I can understand why it’s so popular – comedy/action
- Naruto – obviously, this is classic, but it’s about 700 episodes so I
understand if you’re not ready for it. Someday tho 😉
Personal Picks (in no particular order, I’m always adding to this list!)
- Noragami – Unique story setting about a girl who enters the spirit
realm and makes friends with the Gods and other spiritual beings.
I liked season 2 better!
- Baccano! – this is a fun one about the mafia/crime/comedy with good
jazz music soundtrack
- Boku dake ga inai Machi (Erased) – a crime/thriller that scared me
into watching the entire thing in almost one sitting, I just had to know!
- Shinsekai yori (From the New World) – another show from the future
but it’s not sci-fi, it’s like the world reverted to farming/conditioning
people for the good of mankind. Really unique show this one, but
quite intense/you’ll feel mind-fucked sometimes.
- Fate series – this is a super famous series that I just started, there’s a
looot of stories in this one, watch this if you’ve exhausted my list and
want MOAR ACTION!
- Magi – another fantasy series that’s quite enjoyable 🙂 Set in Middle
East so the characters/artwork is very unique.
- No Game No Life – Love this! I’m a gamer so I’m biased. The
characters are all loveable – if you like this you’ll probably like
Kakegurui and vice versa
- Kaichou wa Maid Sama (The president is a maid) This is a slice of life
one that’s just entertaining, maybe more appropriate for teenage girl,
but hey, don’t let that stop you!
- Banana Fish – action/crime show about the American mafia, it’s got a
really good plot and it’s super detailed. It’s honestly quite unique to
the other shows of the mafia genre.
- Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho (A place further than the universe) – If you
wanna go to Antarctica after this one, hit me up! Love the soundtrack
of this, all original songs sung by the voice actors!
- Golden Kamuy – A funny adventure between a mountain tribe girl
and an ex-soldier of war. They try lots of strange food while on a
treasure hunt and encounter lots of obstacles. I have not seen season
2, but intend to!
- Made in Abyss – This show looks cute and fun, but is actually quite
dark. The universe really intrigues me, give it til about Ep3 to suck you
in and sorry in advance for the feels.
- Kakegurui – I binged this in a day, but I this is one those that I think a
veteran anime watcher will enjoy more than a newcomer 😛 It’s about
high stakes GAMBLING!! (Yes, I like gambling myself hehee)
- Code Geass – A modern war story with the main protagonist being a
tactical genius. This story keeps you on your toes with the amount of
twists and cliffhangers.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion – An oldie and highly criticized series.
It was a breakthrough at the time of release.
- Dragonball Z – Yet another classic, one of my earlier animes,
this is the ONLY exception where you should watch it in English.
- Dr. Stone –
- Shirobako – An anime the anime industry, very heartwarming and
eye opening! Recommended if you want to learn about how an anime
is made but not in a boring documentary style. Lots of references to
real life figures who have influenced the anime scene in Japan.
This is a true personal favourite because I dream of working in anime.
CURRENTLY AIRING – FALL 2019
Anime seasons operate according to the seasons of Japan, hence shows are
often 12-13 episodes long for 1-cour seasons or 24-25 episodes for 2-cour
seasons. Anichart tells me what’s airing each season so I know what to look
This season, I’m watching
- Dr. Stone – 2nd cour, continuation from Summer 2019
- Fire Force – 2nd cour, continuation from Summer 2019
- Boku No Hero Academia – Season 4
- Sword Art Online Alicization: War of Underworld – Part 2 of
- Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars) – Season 4
- 7 Deadly Sins – Season 3
- Psycho-Pass – Season 3
- Chihayafuru – Season 3
NOW GO & HAVE FUN!
I’m jealous that you’re going to have so much fun with all these :/
Let me know what you’re watching so I can relive those moments!!
*a couple weeks later*
OMG Ayesha, I am a weeb now, anime is lyf, I need to feed my
addiction, help, what do?
Ara ara my friend, here’s what I like to do to fuel my love for anime..
– Subscribe to r/anime and other subreddits of individual animes, especially
currently airing ones so you can join in weekly discussions!!!
– Get some merchandise from https://otakumode.com/
– Get on Instagram and follow talented artists like @kushinov_ilya,
@yenkoes or cosplayers
– Go to Japan and embrace the weeb culture for yourself!
じゃあね JA NE!
Just writing down all other shows I’ve watched in alphabetical order, to my
best memory at least, in case you actually finish my guide and still want
PS: It was difficult for me to not bump more of these up to personal picks,
but I didn’t want to overload the personal list more than I already have D:
PPS: There are also some shows which are frankly quite trash, but you gotta
experience trash to appreciate the gems 🙂
- 91 Days
- Anohana: The flower we saw that day
- B: The Beginning
- Boruto: Next Generations
- Boy and the Beast [movie]
- Cowboy Bebop
- Darling in the Franxx
- Devilman Crybaby
- Dragon Pilot
- Flying Witch
- Future Diary
- Goblin Slayer
- Gun Gale Online (Sword Art Online alternate)
- Highschool DxD
- Hikaru no Go
- How not to summon a Demon Lord (dropped halfway lol)
- Juuni Tensen
- Kekkai Sensen
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Megalo Box
- Mirai Nikki
- Mob Psycho 100
- Owari no Seraph
- Plastic Memories
- Princess Principal
- Rising of the Shield Hero
- Saga of Tanya the Evil
- Sakura Quest
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars)
- Sword Art Online
- Sword Art Online: Alicization
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- That time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
- The Magician’s Bride
- The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Tokyo Godfathers [movie]
- Weathering with you [movie]
My personal to-watch list is even longer than this so…